Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lent - Taize Reflections


This Lent I have decided to post Taize song reflections once a week.  For those of you who haven't heard of Taize, it originates from the Taize Community, an ecumenical monastic order in the town of Taize, France.  The community was founded by Brother Roger Schutz and is composed of more than one hundred brothers, from both Protestant and Catholic traditions.

Taize services are meant to be reflective and contemplative; often in the evening by candlelight vigil. Taize music, used in the services, is typically comprised of songs with simple phrases, usually from Psalms or other Scripture, which are repeated over and over - Using repetition, and music for meditation and prayer.

Taize also has a special place in my heart because Mr V and I have been involved in Taize services since the beginning of our relationship.  Our college campus ministry had Taize every Tuesday evening during Lent. I helped organize them through being in chapel choir and it became part of my Lenten routine to go. Mr. V also attended the services and before we started dating I remember trying to get the guts up to talk to him after one of the services :)

So I want to extend a bit of Taize here, as part of my Lenten journey this year..

First one I want to share is Ubi Caritas, as right now I really cling to those words.  "Where charity and love are, God is there", reminding me God is there in the love of my family and friends. It was also one of the songs we had at Elisa's service

Taize- Ubi Caritas
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est
Where charity and love are, God is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment