Sunday, February 15, 2015

A continued conversation with my niece

Last week we were out celebrating my nephew's (P's older brother) birthday.  We had gone to pizza as a family, and then headed back to my parents house for birthday cake.  While we waited for cake at my parents, P came up to me and asked if she could look at pictures (it is a common thing we do, look at pictures on my phone, and I think she likes it because most of them are of her haha).  So she asked me if we could look at pictures, and then said "do you have any pictures of your baby?"

I fumbled with my words for a bit, but then said yes.  She climbed up on the couch next to me and waited to look at the pictures.  I was trying my best to only pull up the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep photos, the ones that have been edited and more suggestive of a baby, than a full photo of her.  But the first photo that popped up, was the one I had taken on my phone of Elisa's face.

This photo is my most treasured photo, it is where you can see that she has Mr V's nose, and my mouth.  Where you can see her eyes, and her little fuzz of a hair on her head.  But she doesn't look like a "normal baby" she looks like a 28 week gestation baby.  She is pinkish/redish, and her skin is very thin. As her momma, I of course, think she is beautiful, but I don't often share that photo, because I know others might not think the same, and honestly it is just too treasured for me to worry about someone thinking otherwise.

Well again, with the honesty of a four year old P saw the photo and said "what's wrong with your baby?" and so I had to explain that she didn't look like a normal baby, she was little, even littler than a newborn.  P still didn't seem to get it. So I finally found the NILMDTS photos, and showed her Elisa's little baby feet.  Then I think P got it.  The next picture was of Elisa's little hands and her teddy bear and P said "ohhhh look she is holding her teddy!".

I know for now P is to little to understand fully what has happened, but hope as time goes on P will eventually see Elisa as her cousin, just one that lives in heaven rather than here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment