Monday, March 16, 2015

Little did we know

To say these last few weeks have been hard would be an understatement. The one month anniversary of Elisa's birthday and the one year anniversary of Luca's due date falling on the same weekend. And returning to work was much harder than I expected.  I am typically a pretty strong person, and can get through all most anything as long as I keep in my mind and my heart that I get to go home to the best person in the world, my best friend, my husband. But the first week back at work I cried from the second we got in the car to leave the office, all the way home, and a good part in to the evening.

Through all of this Mr V has been my rock. He holds me when I cry, comforting me and validating that everything I am feeling is OK. And then he knows how to make me smile and get me to laugh when need cheering up.

I put so much on him, and he is always there for me.

Which is why this week has even more difficult. Yesterday was the three year anniversary of Mr V's father's death.

In February of 2012 Mr V's father was diagnosed with stage IV liver cancer.  He rapidly declined and a month later on March 15th 2012 he passed away at home.  Mr V's father was the most faith-filled, kindest person I have ever met, and he is greatly missed every day.

It just breaks me that the man I love so much, has had to endure so much in his 30 years of life.  Not only has he lost two daughters, but he also lost his father, his mentor.

And despite his loss, he still keeps his positive attitude. Yes he misses his girls and his father dearly, but he is still able to keep hope and be grateful for everything in life. He posted a beautiful tribute to his dad on Facebook last night, and I just wanted to share it here:

3 years ago today I arrived in California to see my family. Unlike the usual trips home which were pre-planned months in advance and carried with them a sense of hope and joy, this trip was not like any other. Earlier that day I received the message that my father passed away and so the next few days would carry with them a variety of emotions. As I look back at the past three years and all the happiness and sadness since that day, I constantly come across the thought I had on my trip there.
I was sad that my father would not be on this earth to be with this grandchildren. Little did I know, he would get to be with them and hold them far before I would.
Thank you dad for all you taught me about life, and along with Luca and Elisa be with us now and always.

And to this I have to add a thank you to Mr V's dad.  Thank you for raising a wonderful man, who is so loving and caring and so strong in his faith.  He is my rock and I cannot imagine making it through this journey without him.  Thank you for holding our baby girls while we cannot.  We thought we would have them on our laps, telling them stories about you, but now we know they are sitting on your lap as you tell them stories about us.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing Mr.V. . My dad passed 12 years ago.. I have many dreams of my dad playing with my boys in heaven & him picking out nick-names for them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about the loss of your dad. That is beautiful thinking about him playing with your boys and giving them nick-names.

    ReplyDelete