Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Eyes of a Child

I had another lovely, unexpected interaction with my niece "P" this weekend.  My nephews and niece were all having an overnight at my parents house last night, so Mr V and I went over to have dinner with them.  After dinner, Mr V wanted to show my nephews a TV show, called "Brain Games" that shows how your brain works and talks about optical illusions. (If you haven't seen it, it's really neat and it's on netflix)

P is 4 and a little too young to understand a lot of the information in the show, so a few minutes in she asked me if I would you upstairs with her to play my little ponies. I said of course I would! I love playing games like that with her.

On our way up the stairs as she walked ahead of me she said:

P: You know, I know why babies eyes didn't have color".

Me: What babies? What do you mean?

P: Your baby, you know in the picture, her eyes didn't have color (Elisa was born  at 28 weeks, and her eyes were actually open)

M: Oh you remember her picture? (I had shown her pictures before, meaning to only show her the Now I Lay Me Down to sleep pictures, and not the ones of her face, because of the very fact that she didn't look like a "normal baby" she looked like a 28 week gestation baby, but at the time, P took my phone and found the one of Elisa's face)

P:  Yea, and I know why she didn't have colored eyes, she was just too little. If she had grown bigger, she would have had color in her eyes

Me: Oh (I was a little taken aback that she remembered so much) You are so right! Did your mom tell you that, or did you figure that out on your own?

P: I figured it out on my own

Me:  Wow you are are right, you are smart! Thank you for thinking about that and for telling me about that.  It makes me happy when you talk about our baby

P: yeah, I know it does...which my little pony do you want?

We had made it up stairs, and were already on to a new topic, just as to be expected from a four year old. But I love her simplicity, talking about Elisa, like any other baby.  She wasn't afraid to bring her up, or talk about her around me, like so many people have been lately.

I love that P remembers her, in her own little way.

No comments:

Post a Comment